- 1 What is the meaning of agricultural research?
- 2 Why are agricultural research and training important for agricultural development?
- 3 What is the role of agricultural research institutes?
- 4 When was IAR&T established?
- 5 What are the 4 types of agriculture?
- 6 Why do we need to study agricultural research?
- 7 What are some risks with agricultural research?
- 8 What are the types of agricultural research?
- 9 What is the importance of quantitative research in agriculture?
- 10 What is the main function of Department of agriculture?
- 11 What are the functions of agriculture?
- 12 What is the role of the Ministry of Agriculture?
- 13 What is the full meaning of IITA?
- 14 What are the Agricultural Research Institute in Nigeria?
What is the meaning of agricultural research?
Agricultural research can be broadly defined as any research activity aimed at improving productivity and quality of crops by their genetic improvement, better plant protection, irrigation, storage methods, farm mechanization, efficient marketing, and a better management of resources.
Why are agricultural research and training important for agricultural development?
Increasing agricultural productivity remains a central concern of developing countries. A transformed agricultural research system helps to achieve sustainable food and income security for all agricultural producers and consumers, particularly for resource-poor households, whether they are in rural or urban areas.
What is the role of agricultural research institutes?
Fundamental, applied and operational research and higher education including co-ordination of such research and higher education in agriculture including agro forestry, animal husbandry, dairying, fisheries, agricultural statistics, economics and marketing.
When was IAR&T established?
The three Schools and the Research Division of the defunct Western State Ministry of Agriculture and National Resources transformed into the Institute of Agricultural Research and Training (IAR&T) Ibadan in 1969 following a Charter signed by the then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo
What are the 4 types of agriculture?
Meaning and Types of Agriculture
- Shifting Cultivation (rotating crops).
- Intensive Pastoral Farming (focused on grazing animals).
- Subsistence Cultivation (seeking out a living; often done for consumption by family).
- Commercial Cultivation (usually focused on cash crops such as cocoa, cotton, palm oil, etc.
Why do we need to study agricultural research?
This includes the cultivation of renewable raw materials and the production of food for humans and animals. The goal is to produce food efficiently and in an environmentally friendly way. Those who study agricultural sciences work in an interdisciplinary way.
What are some risks with agricultural research?
Five general types of risk are described here: production risk, price or market risk, financial risk, institutional risk, and human or personal risk. Production risk derives from the uncertain natural growth processes of crops and livestock.
What are the types of agricultural research?
Animal immunization, artificial insemination, biological control of pests, embryo transfer, genetic engineering, hydroponics, and tissue culture are just a few areas of agricultural research.
What is the importance of quantitative research in agriculture?
The importance of quantitative research to agriculture and fishery cannot be overemphasized because it is useful in finding disease patterns in crops, eliminating those threats, and preventing them from occurring in future.
What is the main function of Department of agriculture?
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides leadership on food, agriculture, natural resources, rural development, nutrition, and related issues based on sound public policy, the best available science, and efficient management.
What are the functions of agriculture?
Agriculture remains a principal force in sustaining the operation and growth of the whole economy, even in highly industrialised countries. In addition to food security, it is possible to organise the contributions of agriculture and related land-use into three main sets of functions:
What is the role of the Ministry of Agriculture?
The broad function of the Ministry is to improve food security and champion agricultural development through local production, reduction of import bill, diversification of the sector, value addition, employment, promotion of consumption of local foodstuff, as well as establishment of agricultural based poverty
What is the full meaning of IITA?
Africa’s leading partner for research for development The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a non-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation.
What are the Agricultural Research Institute in Nigeria?
Nigeria Agricultural Research
- 1Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria.
- 2Institute for Agricultural Research.
- 3Institute of Agricultural Research & Training.
- 4International Institute of Tropical Agriculture.
- 8NSPRI Ilorin.